19 March 2008

My brother and sisters....

It's taken a few days, but here are a few shots from my ordination to the diaconate on Saturday, March 15th, 2008 in the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, in the Episcopal Diocese of New York, the Rt. Rev. Mark S. Sisk, Bishop...

This is all of us. In order from the right: me, Kathryn Reinhard, Stephanie Allen, Arianne Weeks, Lindsay Lunnum, Candace Sandfort, Yejide Peters. In the midst of us is Bishop Sisk, flanked by the cathedral deacons. And peeking around Candace's head is Canon Coles. This year's EDNY class of transitional deacons consisted of myself and six women, hence the bishop's form of address to us during our vows: "My brother and sisters..." At rehearsal on Friday, Lindsay turned to me after the first time we heard that particular locution and said, "Well, I guess that's you." Yep, I guess so.

Just before the big event, this is Patience Okwuoha from St. James Fordham Manor, Sibyl Piccone, from Ascension, myself and Tobias S. Haller, BSG, Vicar of St. James. These good folks stood as my presenters for the ordination.


My great seminary and EDNY friend Arianne Weeks and her daughter (and future deacon) Dorothea.

The man without whom none of this would be possible, the Right Reverend Mark Sean Sisk, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of New York.

The woman without whom none of this would be possible, The Very Reverend Constance C. Coles, Canon for Ministry for the Episocopal Diocese of New York.

Actually, when it comes down to it, this is the man without whom none of this would be possible, the "bishop of my heart" Denton L. Stargel. (NB: if the camera adds 10 pounds, the while garment I'm wearing, called an alb, adds 40 pounds at least!)

My mentor and friend, the Rev. Tobias S. Haller, BSG, vicar of St. James Fordham Manor, my field ed site for these past two years. And two representatives of the many St. James parishioners that supported me at my ordination, Ms. Monica Stewart, and Ms. Pearline Bashford, in hats, of course!

Ken Luymes and Ann Marie Duross of International Rescue Committee days.

The amazing Miss Eliza Williams of International Rescue Committee (ret).

Steve Dahut and Karen Azeez. Karen plays a part in this story. When we were both working at City Harvest, and discussing graduate school as a someday kind of thing, Karen said, "You should study theology in grad school!" As you can see, that seed has taken root.

Just two of the many Ascensionites who showed up to lend their support, Jenny Landis and Fr. Mark Hummel.




It was an awesome and inspiring day all around. Thanks and praise go to very many people for helping me get to this day: Denton in particular, my many seminary classmates and friends, Subdean Titus Presler, my advisor at GTS, my mentors Fr. Haller and Fr. Andrew, all the good people of Church of the Ascension, Manhattan and St. James Fordham Manor, the Bronx, especially Patience and Sibyl, the good folks of the Episocopal Diocese of New York, especially Canon Coles, Bishop Sisk, and the unfailing Alito Orsini -- and, of course, to God from whom all blessings flow...

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20, 21).

No comments: